Anyone can put up a website, what do you really need?Drew Harris
These days with tools like Joomla, WordPress, Template Monster and a little creativity anyone can put up a website, or at least it may seem that way.
- You don't need a college education.
- You don't need any sort of formal certification.
- No formal training, internship, apprenticeship, or previous experience required.
All you really need is access to a computer and a bit of knowledge of the Internet.
This sets the "bar" pretty low doesn't it? It sure seems that anyone with half a brain can put up a website in a couple of hours, days or weeks. If you have hired someone to put up a website for you and it is taking longer than a couple of weeks, it is likely one of two things:
- You've hired a complete idiot who will likely never "get the job done".
- You need more than just a simple website.
Since I've already mentioned a few things about number one... I'll discuss number two: "You need more than just a simple website."
The fact is that these days most people do need more than just a simple website. You must set yourself apart from your competition. Today, everyone has a website. So, how is a simple informational website going to set you apart from all of your competition? It won't!
What do you need? Everyone and every business is different, treating them all the same and providing "cookie cutter" solutions are not the answer.
Is your business looking at the tools your clients and potential clients use today, such as:
- Reaching and keeping clients infomormed with Email Newsletters
- Mobile version of your web site
- Calling visitors to action on your web site and
- Making it easy for site visitors to become clients
- Integration of your "back office" tools with your web site
- Marketing to the bulls eye of your target market where they are i.e. social media avenues
An experienced firm that does a proper discovery and has the ability to execute on a complete solution IS what you need.